One of my favourite salads is the Moroccan carrot salad. Basically, it’s a simple blend of carrots, dried fruit like dried currants and a basic dressing of lemon juice.
I was pondering this while reaching in a cupboard reaching for the sugar to add to my coffee one morning and saw dried cranberries nearby. I decided to pour some of my coffee over some dried cranberries to let them hydrate while enjoying the rest of my coffee with a basic idea in mind. A dressing.
The infancy of the idea had it as a part of brunch with eggs, but it turned back to the dried fruit origins in Moroccan carrot salad. By adding the bright, flavourful dressing to shaved carrots, a new idea was born.
On its own it would be a great side to lamb or other main meat dish, but it would also be great paired with a nice brunch dish of eggs and hashbrowns. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp finely ground coffee
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cold pressed camelina oil
- Prepared Cranberry Coffee Dressing
- 4 cups shaved carrots (about 4-6 medium carrots, shaved with a vegetable peeler into long ribbons)
- To prepare the dressing, pour the hot coffee over the dried cranberries in a small bowl and allow the cranberries to hydrate for a half an hour.
- Place the hydrated cranberries and coffee in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Add the vinegar, ground coffee, ground cardamom, salt and oil. Purée again until a smooth dressing is achieved.
- Add the shaved carrots to a medium bowl. Drizzle in half of the dressing and toss with the carrots lightly with your fingers. Divide over 2 plates and drizzle each with the remaining dressing. Serves 2.