Whenever I break a chicken down into component parts, I always want to do something different with the breast. Sometimes I remove the meat from the bone, cut into strips and make chicken fingers. Sometimes I’ll glaze the bone-in breast and roast it. Today I wanted to take the flavours of India and build even more flavour over the roasting process to make an extra savoury version of butter chicken. Plus a little extra treat in there too! Enjoy!!
- 1 Tbsp, each, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric
- 1 tsp hot paprika (or cayenne or other powdered red chilli)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cold pressed camelina oil (or other cold pressed/extra virgin oil)
- 1 whole bone-in, skin-on chicken breast (it could be a whole chicken as well if you want to make a lot. Simply double the roasting vegetable ingredients below)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ¼ cup sliced fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Half of the Tikka Roasted Chicken Breast, sliced
- 8 flatbreads
- Lettuce, tomato and plain yogurt to serve
- Half of the Tikka Roast Chicken Breast, cut into chunks
- Purée of roasting vegetables and juices (without the bay leaf)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp raw, creamed honey
- Cooked rice, to serve
- For the Tikka Marinade, add the spices to a spice grinder and grind until a powder is achieved. Add this spice mixture to a large zip freezer bag. Add the yogurt, sour cream and oil and whisk it all together to combine. Add the chicken breast, massage the marinade over the entire chicken breast. Zip the bag closed, place into a medium bowl and refrigerate for 3-4 hours so the marinade can penetrate the meat.
- Preheat oven to 190C375F.
- In a 25cm/10" square roasting pan, add the onions, celery, ginger, water and bay leaves. Pull the chicken from the marinade, leaving an marinade that sticks to the chicken on there and place it on the roasting vegetables. Roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of your chicken breast.
- Option 1: Slice the meat from half of the breast and serve on flatbreads with lettuce, tomato and yogurt for a simple wrap.
- Option 2: Purée the roasting vegetables and roasting juices in a blender, then pour into a large pan over medium high heat. Add the tomato paste, sour cream and honey. Stir and simmer over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for a few minutes more. Serve with rice.
- Serves 4-6 people, two different meals.
For Option 1, I think of it as a Deconstructed Butter Chicken Wrap. Instead of stirring tomato into a creamy sauce, the tomatoes are fresh on a wrap with the Tikka Roast Chicken with yogurt to give that creaminess.
For Option 2, I took the idea of a North American roast chicken gravy and subsequently simmered it with butter chicken elements to give something visually closer to traditional butter chicken! So good!!