Sweet Pepper Marinara Sauce
Recipe type: Pasta
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 sweet bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, chopped
- 156mL/5.5 oz tomato paste
- 796mL/28 fl oz canned whole tomatoes
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 3 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the oil, onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes to soften the vegetables, but not brown them.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the softened vegetables. Toast the tomato paste until it becomes fragrant and slightly darker (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, paprika, water, garlic and bell peppers. Bring to a simmer, stirring to combine the ingredients. Reduce heat to medium low, cover with a lid and simmer for 2 hours. Purée with a hand blender (or in a regular blender in batches) until smooth. Great tossed with pasta or as a base for pizza. Makes about 8 cups. Freezes well for up to 3 months in a container with a tight-fitting lid.