Chicken Sausage Vegetable Primavera Omelette
Recipe type: Brunch
- 1 +3 tsp oil
- 100g/4 oz chicken sausage (or your favourite fresh sausage), crumbled
- 2 small or 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1cm (1/2") wedges
- 100g/4 oz fresh green beans
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red finger chilli, stem removed and sliced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, thickly sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp oil + 1 Tbsp butter, divided
For the Chicken Sausage Vegetable Primavera:
- Add 3 tsp oil to a large pan over medium high heat. When the oil is smouldering and almost smoking, add the zucchini wedges. Pan roast on each side for 4-5 minutes until deeply golden. Remove from pan and drain away the excess oil on paper towels.
- To the same large pan over medium high heat, brown the crumbled sausage meat for 3-4 minutes. Add the onions, chillis and peppers. Sauté for 2-3 minutes to soften the vegetables. Add the green beans, tomato sauce and ¼ cup of water. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the tomato sauce has thickened. Gently stir in the pan roasted zucchini wedges and most of the green onions. Set aside in a warm place.
For the Omelette:
- Add 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. When the butter has melted and the bubbles have subsided, add ⅓ of the eggs. Slowly swirl the eggs to ensure that it doesn't stick. Cook the eggs gently over the course of 8-10 minutes. Once set, slide it out of the pan and on to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place it in a 90C/200F oven to keep warm while you cook the rest of the eggs. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Place an Omelette on three plates. Divide the Chicken Sausage Vegetable Primavera over the top of each Omelette. Garnish with remaining chopped green onions. Serves 3 very hearty portions or on a platter instead of three plates, divided amongst 5-6 as part of a larger brunch. The Chicken Sausage Vegetable Primavera is also great tossed with cooked penne, gemelli or rotini pasta.