Recipe type: Breads
- 2 cups red fife flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup frozen butter, coarsely grated
- ⅞-1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200C/425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Grate the frozen butter into the dry ingredients. Work the butter in quickly with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Add ⅞ cup of buttermilk and stir together with the handle end of a wooden spoon. When the dough has come together, turn it out of the bowl on the counter. Knead briefly to make a soft dough.
- Press the dough out with your hands and fold it over. Press it out again to a thickness of 2cm/1". Cut the biscuits into 7cm/3" squares. Invert the cut out biscuit dough on the prepared baking sheet and bake on the lower rack of the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Makes 8-10 biscuits.